Most of you will not be reading this on Thanksgiving, as you will be spending time with your loved ones, cooking up a storm, and of course watching those NYC Rockettes on the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade! It is so important that we pause and remember all of the things we are thankful for in our lives on this busy day, during this busy season, and of course throughout the entire year. So often we get caught up and we forget what is really important.
The day becomes about baking the right pies and if we’ve having corn or carrots (both of which are high in sugar and should be eaten as a vegetable in moderation!) and if we are stuffing the bird or just baking the dressing separately. We are so caught up in the sales ads in the paper and getting ready to leave the house by 9 to get in line at the doors of our favorite stores.
This year, my heart is so heavy and calling to mind all of those things I have to be thankful for is what gets me through. There are a million reasons to complain::
- deployment looms over our heads and every second can so easily become one second closer to D-Day instead of one more precious second with my Prince Charming.
- We have sparse decorations and I am neither crafty or wealthy enough to decorate the way I want. It is hard to remember we’ve been “together” less than a year, and as Newlyweds nobody has every decoration they ever wanted! As we break our our Christmas Decorations though we will discover we have more than some folks married 15 years have and the spirit will fill our house!
- We are away from family and my heart aches to be with them… they are with me in spirit though, even though we shall sit at a table for two.
There are a million reasons to be thankful::
- Our health! We both have good health and that is certainly not something to take lightly.
- Our Family! It might be just the two of us right now and our three furbabies, but it is our little family and we are always there for each other.
- A roof over our heads: we are blessed with a house big enough for our love!
- Food in our bellies: we will dine this afternoon on quite the feast! (and then again tomorrow… and then again on Saturday!)
- Creativity: I have found such joy working in my shop! The process of coming into my little space and creating something is amazing. I can’t wait to grow my supply inventory and learn some new techniques!
- The love we have for each other! I have an amazing husband who takes me for all the good and all the crazy. Who could ask for anything more?
Happy Thanksgiving, friends! What are you thankful for?